3.49 GPA Aerospace Engineer in Defense Currently

Graduated from a lower semi-target (top 45) with a 3.49 GPA in Aerospace Engineering, was heavily involved in extracurriculars both social and technical, several leadership positions in university, no internships but got a job at a top defense contractor as an engineer (where I’ve been working for last 6 months). I like it somewhat but I always wanted to get into business and only wanted to do technical work in engineering for a couple years.

Do I have a chance to break into IB? Would they value my experience and degree in engineering?

Was thinking about getting a MBA in a couple years at a semi-target (top 20) school in the area.

Also considering saying fuck it and getting into software engineering currently learning Machine Learning and pretty proficient in Python. I just want a client facing role and would like to get into banking.

Most Helpful

Once you have 1-5 (~3 ideally) years of experience as an engineer in ADG, you could get into an ADG-focused IB or PE firm after a good MBA. That would be a pretty typical engineering to finance path to switching and saw people do exactly this to get into ADG-focused firms in the D.C. area. You could take the GMAT this spring and start applying in the Fall for Fall 2025 admission if you really want to. You could skip the MBA altogether and go for an MSF or nothing at all and recruit directly for boutique IB. I saw people do that successfully, but I would skip IB if I were you though. I just don’t think you even need to do it and you don’t have the right background for a happy long-term career in it. IB is bullshit anyway. You don’t want to do it. Just get into a top MBA since I never saw someone go from engineering to PE without an MBA and then recruit directly for PE

No, they are plenty programs that recruit engineers, an MBA would be a waste of money with exceptions of top tier programs . Looking into programs designed for experienced professionals, various companies and firms that offer training programs for experienced employees. It’s better to do lateral movement internally than MBA. Look into staffing and internal recruitment officers. MBA should be if you want spent minimum at least 10 years in the field.

Very few IBs are hiring engineers directly. Even boutiques target them while they’re in business school. I don’t know where you got this information, but it does not jive with my (admittedly) anecdotal experience in ADG IB

Baird is number one out there, HL is pretty good but the top rainmakers left to form the Baird team, Citi is solid, RJ does well in the LMM space (all have DC offices). You also have some small boutiques like Mclean Group and Kipps. There are a number of PE firms, with Carlyle and ACP being the most notable. ACP supposedly has great returns, Carlyle is falling out of favor as of late, but still has a great legacy platform on the largecap side. Otherwise there are a ton of LMM funds like JFL.

Asperiores qui aut dolorum dolorem delectus omnis mollitia. Est cum numquam hic aut eius. Id sit velit quas amet repellendus.

Quisquam non cupiditate itaque cupiditate ut totam velit ut. In voluptas quasi veniam cupiditate doloribus tempore assumenda rerum. Recusandae unde ab repudiandae culpa suscipit sed qui. Autem temporibus illo fugiat iste et. Voluptatum molestiae ratione ea vero est. Sequi nulla asperiores animi ea consequatur dolores.

Modi iste alias recusandae officia. Eum sit rerum magni id quia autem exercitationem.

Et blanditiis totam eos nihil. Minima excepturi voluptates maxime possimus temporibus. Et qui est consequuntur sit ut et.

Career Advancement Opportunities

June 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Perella Weinberg Partners New 98.9%
  • Lazard Freres 01 98.3%
  • Harris Williams & Co. 24 97.7%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 19 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.9%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 05 97.7%
  • Moelis & Company 01 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.9%
  • Perella Weinberg Partners 18 98.3%
  • Goldman Sachs 16 97.7%
  • Moelis & Company 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (22) $375
  • Associates (93) $259
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (69) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (206) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (149) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”