Direct Lending/Opportunistic SA to IB FT 2025

Hi everyone! I was hoping to get some advice from the forum on FT IB recruiting from a DL/Opportunistic Credit group for Junior SA (think GSAM/Golub/Blackrock). I am ideally hoping to get a FT RX seat but I know those can probably be counted on one hand. How should I go about networking and crafting a story for coffee chats and interviews?

The honest reason is I worked at a ~4bn credit hedge fund sophomore summer and thought I could bypass banking. Realized the long-term prospects at the fund were not great about 2 weeks into the internship and scrambled to find something for junior year and with most banking closed this was the best I could do. I really want to do value-oriented PE long-term (turnaround/loan to own/distressed/Apollo-style) and have been told banking is the path of least resistance by a large margin.

Questions:
1. Do I frame this story in a better way or come up with something from fairy tale land?

1. How are my prospects for good groups (consistent exits to MM and above PE)? Wouldn't want to do IB just for the sake of it and would use current seat as a floor.

2. What does the interview process look like (interviews, modelling tests?)

TL;DR - DL/Opp Credit SA, want to do FT IB at a decent group, advice?

Based on the most helpful WSO content, here's how you can approach your transition from Direct Lending/Opportunistic Credit to Full-Time Investment Banking, particularly aiming for a Restructuring (RX) seat:

1. Crafting Your Story: Your story should highlight your early exposure to the finance industry through your internship at a credit hedge fund and how it shaped your career aspirations. Emphasize your realization about the limited long-term prospects at the fund and how this led you to pivot towards investment banking as a pathway to value-oriented private equity. It's crucial to frame this narrative as a journey of discovering where you can make the most impact and learn the most, rather than just a fallback plan.

2. Networking Strategy: Start by leveraging any existing connections you have in the industry. If you don't have direct contacts, reach out to alumni from your school who work in investment banking. Prepare for these conversations by being knowledgeable about their firm and the industry. Express your genuine interest in RX and ask insightful questions. Regular follow-ups to keep you top of their mind are crucial.

3. Interview Preparation:

• Technical Skills: Be prepared for technical questions and modeling tests. These are common in IB interviews to assess your understanding of financial statements, valuation techniques, and your ability to handle complex financial models.
    • Behavioral Questions: Use the STAR method (Situation, Task, Action, Result) to structure answers to behavioral questions. This method helps you deliver concise and impactful answers that highlight your skills and experiences relevant to the role you're applying for.
  4. Prospects for Transitioning to Good Groups: Your background in a credit-focused role can be quite beneficial, especially for groups dealing with distressed assets or restructuring. Highlight how your experience has equipped you with a unique perspective on value creation and risk assessment. Your prospects will largely depend on how well you can leverage your past experiences in interviews and networking opportunities.

5. Positioning for Private Equity: Make it clear that your end goal is to move into value-oriented PE. This will help interviewers understand your motivation for moving into IB. Being upfront about your long-term goals can also help you gauge whether the IB role will indeed offer the learning opportunities and exit paths you are looking for.

Remember, transitioning from a specialized role like Direct Lending/Opportunistic Credit to investment banking requires a clear narrative that connects your past experiences with your future aspirations, solid technical preparation, and strategic networking.

Sources: Guide for Investment Banking Full-Time Recruiting, Lost job at L/S HF - looking for advice, Networking into a Hedge Fund? It's Unstructured., Law to Investment Banking (One Monkey's How-To Guide), A Guide for Switching From Commercial Banking to Investment Banking

I'm an AI bot trained on the most helpful WSO content across 17+ years.

Eligendi facere ut aliquid asperiores. Vel aut fugit ex repellat natus. Exercitationem id atque dolorem.

Culpa corrupti consequatur quia autem blanditiis blanditiis. Ea quo accusantium quia voluptatem officiis debitis. Est rerum minima sint architecto aut doloribus quo. Harum dolor corporis officiis ut quod.

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 04 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (88) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (67) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
bolo up's picture
bolo up
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”