LEK London rescinding offers for MBAs starting in September 2020

Just received a call from LEK London today rescinding their offer to start as a consultant in September 2020 (MBA cohort)... two weeks after confirming the 7th of September start date !

Not sure how this will impact their employer brand’s reputation and what is says about their current economic situation.

Did this happen to anyone else?

Most Helpful

I'd be careful with making it something very public. Although it is a poor situation to be in, your next employer will likely not like the fact that you went all out to show what happened.

Friend of mine was supposed to start in the summer as a lateral hire as SAC. I guess perhaps they took a handful of lateral hires, the 2021 intern intake and called it a day based on their financial situation? It's still unfair to cancel on the entire cohort - perhaps delay some to the 2021 intake or something like that. Could also be that LEK over hired in the past months and now needed to drop some people - tougher to fire employees in Europe than to rescind offers. Did they offer any form of guidance/advice/support?

Funniest

Lol the rescinding of MBA offers but automatic conversion of summer interns is easy to explain: that's cause at sweatshops like these they value Analysts / fresh grads more for the simple fact that they can grind them and toss them out before they make it to consultant / manager levels and reiterate the process.

OP I wouldn't worry too much - moved to MBB post LEK and would say the silver lining is you now have time / a shot at recruiting for a real consulting firm...

Well, based on talks with recent hires the sweatshop reputation in Europe has died down quite a bit. And whilst I don't want to start the whole MBA Associate vs Entry Level argument, if they're in a tight spot financially it makes sense to hire 1) cheaper people that you can rapidly train at entry level and 2) lateral hires coming directly from relevant companies which do the same work they do and don't need to be brought up to speed as much. If you're an MBA hire you are expensive and likely need as much training as an Analyst unless you have previously done a lot of CDD-focused consulting. Especially for their life sciences practice where industry knowledge is pretty much paramount.

An LEKer? Hey there mate.

Well reputation is a little anecdotal / subjective - from my ex colleagues I've heard nothing's changed since and so culture / Hours are the same, which is what matters. If you have better info or know of what they've changed I'd be curious to know actually

Similar situation, but would not say I was suicidal. My thoughts are if you want to stay in consulting long-term, definitely worth taking a 1-2 year demotion to move from LEK to MBB. If you plan on staying in consulting short-term, not worth moving as you can network to try and get similar opportunities / get to a similar long-term position from LEK as well

My condolences. Have you tried to negotiate at all? Perhaps, offer to join next year? I'm honestly surprised that they are willing to throw away an entire incoming class of talent right there (esp. considering the amount of time/money that these firms invest in recruiting)

Does anyone know if similar actions are being taken in the US offices? I've heard of the 3-week unpaid leave but haven't heard anything about hiring (I have an October start date so naturally this is a bit concerning to me)

I'd also like to know if anyone has any insight, as I too have an October start date in the US.

So the OP is the only report I have seen of this online. On Fishbowl, there is actually some dispute about the claim. Apparently it's mainly for people with Visa issues and not all MBA offers in the UK. Also seems to be specific to UK and not other regions. Can anyone else confirm or provide more insight on exactly which offers were rescinded?

It’s very strange, I also looked at fishbowl and it seems some LEKers are denying layoffs, some are claiming there were layoffs, and there was an LEKer saying the firm was finished / cancelled.

Wtf does cancelled even mean!? LEK isn’t some Instagram account I can subscribe / unsubscribe to. But hell, sounds like that place is straight up wild

I think the discrepancy you're seeing on Fishbowl is due to geography. I am pretty sure that the rescinding/layoff is indeed happening in LEK London.

If you go on the /r/consulting subreddit, there's another post there saying that MBA March new-joiners at a London T2, who were previously on furlough, had their offers rescinded.

The dates coincide with what we know about LEK's furloughing and start dates.

EDIT: this was meant as a reply for the people talking about contradicting info on Fishbowl.

Repellat ut consequuntur consequatur quidem molestiae. Eum incidunt qui animi nihil ipsum. Tenetur et quia cum eos laudantium rerum placeat.

Sunt inventore doloremque maxime dignissimos. Error quis exercitationem officiis qui iste quia. Dignissimos ex aut dignissimos sit quo. Eos animi ad assumenda qui quis.

Molestiae consequatur voluptatem et eum delectus qui excepturi. Eum dolor dolor voluptatibus voluptatem inventore in ex qui.

Optio vel architecto et aut fugiat ut qui dolorum. Et neque vel eius blanditiis corporis delectus. Culpa quis quibusdam dignissimos ut voluptatem laboriosam inventore commodi. Ex deserunt autem minima id non deleniti placeat.

Velit et non ipsa. Et magnam velit vitae adipisci laboriosam autem dolor repellendus. Facilis vel fugit exercitationem non aut ea voluptatem temporibus. Dolor qui quia occaecati et velit. At optio ut quasi tenetur.

Sint quibusdam et cumque ut officiis harum necessitatibus culpa. Sed itaque labore possimus qui qui et.

Laudantium illo eaque alias quasi eveniet amet voluptatem. Sit qui aperiam eius similique sed aspernatur consectetur pariatur. Aut autem recusandae rerum omnis corrupti facilis.

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Consulting

• Bain & Company 99.4%
  • McKinsey and Co 98.9%
  • Boston Consulting Group (BCG) 98.3%
  • Oliver Wyman 97.7%
  • LEK Consulting 97.2%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

May 2024 Consulting

• Bain & Company 99.4%
  • Cornerstone Research 98.9%
  • McKinsey and Co 97.7%
  • Oliver Wyman 97.2%

Professional Growth Opportunities

May 2024 Consulting

• Bain & Company 99.4%
  • McKinsey and Co 98.9%
  • Oliver Wyman 97.7%
  • LEK Consulting 97.2%

Total Avg Compensation

May 2024 Consulting

• Partner (4) $368
  • Principal (25) $277
  • Director/MD (55) $270
  • Vice President (47) $246
  • Engagement Manager (100) $226
  • Manager (153) $170
  • 2nd Year Associate (158) $140
  • Senior Consultant (331) $130
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (108) $130
  • Consultant (590) $119
  • 1st Year Associate (539) $119
  • NA (15) $119
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (148) $116
  • Engineer (6) $114
  • 2nd Year Analyst (347) $103
  • Associate Consultant (166) $98
  • 1st Year Analyst (1050) $87
  • Intern/Summer Associate (190) $83
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (552) $67
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
kanon's picture
kanon
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
dosk17's picture
dosk17
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
bolo up's picture
bolo up
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”