2022/23 Australia SA Recruiting

Australian IB SA application season is kicking off — thought I’d start a general thread.

I’m at a non-target Sydney uni (think low A/high B tier) and have found networking doable despite difficulty gaining traction at first. There’s a serious lack of recruiting events at my uni for students that don’t tick a major diversity box.

How are you all finding the process so far? Any luck with networking and applications?

I’ve spent some time reviewing CV’s for this years intake. A lot of high calibre students and a lot of pressure from HR to hire women.

If you’re non-target you should try and attend FMAA event, network with bankers and then grab coffees.

Good to know, thanks for the tip. Already registered for a few FMAA events, not sure how much opportunity for networking there’ll be at virtual sessions.

How high calibre are we talking? Mind if I PM you with a few extra questions?

Most Helpful

Hey mate, good luck with your applications this year. Some high calibre students with 1-2 internships across corp fin, corp advisory, big 4, equity research etc while having a decent ATAR/GPA + role in a society (however these are not concrete prerequisites to getting the internship!). 

A few tips:

- application in (ie. applied + completed all video interviews etc.) at least two weeks before applications are due (aim for as early as possible)

- dont submit a copy paste cover letter to every firm, have an opening 1-2 paragraphs that you make firm specific with the rest being copy pasted about yourself

- try to speak with at least 1 analyst from each bank (LinkedIn, FMAA events) to help form an answer for why this bank

- prepare compelling reasons as to why this firm, why IB, tell me about yourself etc. Be able to walk through these answers easily with confidence as theyre 100% going to be asked in interviews.

- find a deal that each bank advised on and look through the target's statement / scheme booklet and check the Independent Expert Review inside the document to see rationale of the deal and how the target was valued etc. Being across this stuff makes technicals so much easier as interviewers will often ask you questions about the deal if you lead them into it. 

If you are unlucky and don't get an internship, keep the ball rolling - you will have ~6-8 months before grad roles open, which is plenty of time to keep grinding for internships/work experience across Corp Fin, small boutiques, ER, PE/VC etc. A few unpaid internships doing only 1-2 days a week can massively improve your application for the next year. 

Officia odio soluta voluptates magni qui sit. Animi error et aut quasi numquam recusandae rerum. Repellat dolores qui dolore dolores. Dignissimos a voluptatum ut ex. Doloribus nostrum aut accusantium.

Placeat odit sit exercitationem. Ut aut unde et magni ut voluptate optio. Assumenda qui libero et. Et ut ea voluptatem nobis quia nobis. Est beatae aut mollitia voluptatem ea.

Nesciunt eum ea iste voluptatem ab nihil aut dolore. Tempora quia omnis amet voluptatem mollitia similique rerum. Consequuntur ut nemo ex error illo.

Aspernatur quam sunt voluptates possimus dolorem est quaerat. Commodi fugiat quasi rerum eius omnis ut. Reprehenderit sed est atque qui at.

Quaerat natus voluptas omnis a rerum ut iste temporibus. Ex tenetur aliquid voluptatem consequatur et nam qui repellat. Est saepe fugit cupiditate.

Eum veritatis deleniti qui. Consequuntur in aperiam vero animi molestiae sint cum. Tenetur eveniet est maiores qui perspiciatis.

[Comment removed by mod team]

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Lazard Freres No 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 18 98.3%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 04 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (21) $373
  • Associates (91) $259
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (68) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”