2023 Certified Prestige official® b-school ranking - PE Firms

Looking for an updated ranking list for PE firm placements into b-school. Have consolidated previous responses on this from another post

Tier 1a: US Mount Olympus (Apollo / BX / Carlyle / KKR/ H&F / Silver Lake)

Tier 1b: European megafunds (Permira / CVC / Apax / EQT) and US demigods (TPG / Warburg / Advent / CDR / Vista / Thoma Bravo) General Atlantic, Bain

---Past this point, Wharton still basically guaranteed but H/S becomes tougher---

Tier 2a:GTCR/ LGP/ MDP/ New Mountain/ Veritas/ Francisco Partners, BDT

Tier 2b:Top growth (Summit / TA / Insight), Softbank, Platinum, Berkshire, Golden Gate

---Past this point, H/S becomes a small miracle, W is hard, but M7 still decent odds---

Tier 3a: Rest of MM buyout (HIG, Bridgepoint, TH Lee, Genstar, WCAS, Amsec, Lcatteron, Audax,Lindsey Goldberg,  Arby too many to list), a few others on the growth side, Growth equity arms of MF (KKR Growth, folks strongly pref doing growth at pureplay growth such as GA rather than MF growth cuz of track record/ clear focus), Value/credit-DNA shops (Oaktree / Ares / Centerbridge / Fortress / Cerberus

Tier 3b: Banks trying to break into PE (GS MBD / MS), Canadians and sovereigns (CPP / OTPP / Mubadala / GIC / Temasek)

---Past here, M7 odds are like at one of those companies which actually makes products, like Coca Cola---

Tier 4: Anything with <$10bn AUM 

Tier 5: Anything with <$1bn AUM

Very strange thread - this is still academia... adcomms at top business schools don't just see you worked at New Mountain and wet themselves. It's a hell of a lot more complicated than "I worked at X, therefore I get into Y."

schools care a lot about their rankings and want to accept a lot of pedigree individuals to improve their rankings, W does this more than H/S which are more secure about accepting unconventional candidates 

Most Helpful

Think you are conflating prestige with b-school placements. The biggest things to look for is past record of business school placements and MDs bschool connections.

For example, Berkshire has a great history of sending kids to HBS. Genstar sends a lot of people to HBS and GSB and if you look on their website all of their MDs either went to HBS or GSB. Having connected seniors at a firm with a strong pipeline to these schools is much more important than WSO "prestige" for banking exits. Silverlake and a few others also promote from within and people rarely leave for bschool so not as common and make it harder to judge. 

Spot on - if OP (or anyone else) is that pressed for a list, the way to do it would be to show H/S/W alums per capita at each firm and rank that way. At the end of the day, if 20 of your MDs went to HBS, odds are you as an associate have a pretty good shot. My understanding is that the big Boston names that have been around since the 80s (Bain, Advent, Berkshire, TA) fit this criteria and place lights out. I would expect the same to apply for GSB/Bay Area firms but am less sure on what names have a big alumni base (believe Francisco, Golden Gate, and H&F fit the bill here). Then of course you have the 3/4 MFs that kind of transcend all of that (BX/APO/KKR etc..) and can place you anywhere no matter the alumni base.

See comment above. Vista is one of the firms that promote majority from within - very few leave to get an MBA.

So online mba will dilute the brand? would online mbas allow you to continue working while going for mba? (assuming you need to take a year or two longer to complete it)

love to hear your take on the trajectory of these mbas due to online mba option, especially given your senior background in PE 

If solely going off b-school placement Bain should be tier 1a no question about it, Berkshire up a tier too

Maybe to some extent but at least especially Bain has historicall had a long-standing legacy relationship with HBS, almost everyone senior went to HBS/GSB and the entire associate class places 

I agree that Berkshire is top-tier here, but Bain isn't the same as it used be. Your comment applies to Bain a decade ago, but their associate program has gotten very large and they have so many strategies that are honestly all the same in the eyes of admissions officers, so they have quite a few people not getting into H/S. Some will go to Wharton when that happens but many will skip business school altogether as a result of not getting into H/S (ridiculous in my opinion).

I don’t know where you’re getting your information from, but I have multiple close friends at Bain Cap and everyone who’s taken their b-school applications seriously has gotten into H or S in the past few years, some of them both. They say it’s relatively close to a lock if you take the whole process seriously

Ut sunt recusandae accusamus laudantium qui esse a. Aut ut qui accusamus itaque ut omnis consequatur. Quam voluptatem animi eos earum qui vero qui. Ipsum voluptatem qui sit aperiam voluptates incidunt et. Sit velit non suscipit et dolores laudantium asperiores.

Aut quis omnis architecto adipisci repudiandae mollitia velit. Debitis et tempore ullam dolorem quia perspiciatis. Labore sit possimus illo mollitia aliquid sit necessitatibus. Officia dolorum ullam sint sunt quis iusto odit. Eligendi quae magnam cupiditate neque officiis id.

Career Advancement Opportunities

June 2024 Private Equity

• The Riverside Company 99.5%
  • Blackstone Group 99.0%
  • Warburg Pincus 98.4%
  • KKR (Kohlberg Kravis Roberts) 97.9%
  • Bain Capital 97.4%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

June 2024 Private Equity

• Blackstone Group 98.9%
  • KKR (Kohlberg Kravis Roberts) 98.4%
  • Ardian 97.9%
  • Bain Capital 97.4%

Professional Growth Opportunities

June 2024 Private Equity

• Bain Capital 99.0%
  • Blackstone Group 98.4%
  • Warburg Pincus 97.9%
  • Starwood Capital Group 97.4%

Total Avg Compensation

June 2024 Private Equity

• Principal (9) $653
  • Director/MD (22) $569
  • Vice President (92) $362
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (91) $281
  • 2nd Year Associate (206) $268
  • 1st Year Associate (389) $229
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (29) $154
  • 2nd Year Analyst (83) $134
  • 1st Year Analyst (246) $122
  • Intern/Summer Associate (32) $82
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (316) $59
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”