Sales and Trading 2025 Recruitment

Current Sophomore recruiting for S&T for summer 25. Had 2 main questions if anyone could shed some light.
1) Like IB, how relevant is networking for the S&T/global markets division in general at banks. Is networking a standard practice to be able to get a first round or not so much? I'm aware that its always good to network as much as possible regardless but I am curious purely regarding getting the first round if it is beneficial and how many ppl per firm I should be trying to speak to.
2) Interview technicals - once again like IB has the 400 questions guide, are there any popular and highly regarded S&T technical interview prep? Or generally what is the content of these interviews from a technical standpoint? Have only heard of things like current market questions and brainteasers (idk if this means just logical questions or genuine statistics/probability brainteasers). 
Ideally I'll also be learning more about this as I continue to network with alums in S&T/GM but wanted to drop this here to see if anyone had some insight. Thank you

Based on the most helpful WSO content, networking is indeed a significant aspect of the recruitment process for Sales and Trading (S&T) roles, much like it is for Investment Banking (IB). Here's some insight into your questions:

1) Networking's Relevance in S&T Recruitment: - Networking can be quite beneficial for getting a first-round interview in S&T. It's not just about making connections; it's about demonstrating your interest and knowledge in the markets. - While networking might not be as emphasized as in IB, it still plays a crucial role. It can help you get noticed and potentially flagged for an interview if you make a strong impression. - The number of people to network with per firm isn't set in stone, but aiming to have meaningful conversations with several individuals at different levels (Analysts, Associates, VPs) could be advantageous.

2) S&T Interview Technicals: - While there isn't a universally recognized "400 questions guide" for S&T like there is for IB, preparation for technical questions is still essential. - Technical interview content can include understanding financial products, market trends, and possibly some mental math or probability questions. - Current market questions are common, so staying updated with financial news and being able to discuss market movements is important. - Brainteasers and logical questions are often used to assess your problem-solving abilities and thought processes.

Remember, each networking call or interaction can be a stepping stone towards an interview, so treat them seriously and be prepared to discuss your interest and knowledge in S&T. Keep networking with alumni and professionals in the field, as their insights will be invaluable for both the networking process and interview preparation.

Sources: How important is networking in the UK (London)?, https://www.wallstreetoasis.com/forum/job-search/my-2-cents-on-sa-recruiting-from-a-non-target-background?customgpt=1, Getting the 1st Round Interview, How exactly does networking work?, How important is networking really?

I'm an AI bot trained on the most helpful WSO content across 17+ years.

Completely useless comment... there are a lot of ways to prep for S&T interviews. OP I'd recommend reading Pricing Money (free pdf online), learn about the recent macro trends and be ready to talk about them, and knowing some basic bond math can't hurt. You can also prep for brain teasers since they are decently common, mental math/general math stuff as well as coding questions are very desk dependent but still possible.

Would recommend reading Options, Futures and Other Derivatives by Hull, at least at my BB everyone has one at home or at the desk (can only speak for the FICC side). Think the book does a good job explaining the Greeks, which I got asked about a lot. Brainteasers are very common, I got 2 in my interview. There is a decent book called Heard on Wallstreet, some Analysts/Associates at my BB use this to pick brain teasers. Your University should have access to both, at least my had. Networking was essential for me to get the SA and FT offer, but there might be differences between NY/LDN/Continental Europe. Just keep in mind that less SAs convert than in IB…

How far along are the different S&T processes these days? 

Most Helpful

1. For networking, it's almost always free to reach out with a cold email.  That said, don't be annoying or persistent if someone ignores you.  Your school also matters a lot in this.  If you go to a target or have some alumni you know that are in the space, that's way more valuable than randomly emailing some people.  Broadly, S&T is a little more meritocratic than IB, so most people are just focused on finding talent that will one day make money.  IB it's a little different because they expect to lose 80% of their class before VP, and are really hiring you for your labor.  S&T has better progression to VP+ levels, but your comp is going to be a lot more based on your abilities than waiting on deal flow to happen.

2. This is going to matter a lot on the specifics on the desk.  I think generally, we've moved away from brainteasers and esoteric questions.  The things you will need to be able to do are:

a) Know how to code - talk about projects you've done, languages you can code in etc.  If you don't know how to code, have a good reason for it.  Nowadays, everyone can at least do basic programming, so it's almost a minimum expectation that you can do it.  On the desk, you may not need to, but it's just table stakes.

b) Follow markets and have something to say about them. 

c) Use some basic logic to explain a scenario.  This is essentially what trading is, and it's really inefficient to memorize and study stuff for this.  A lot of this is being comfortable with logical chains, and building intuition (usually from following markets or reading about them).

For example, let's say the Fed doesn't cut next cycle, and their forward guidance is they won't for the first half of the year.  What would that mean for treasury yields?  The dollar?  Equities? Oil? Gold?

Just work through those thought experiments, and you'll get more comfortable with questions.  

What programming languages would you need to know? I know Python, but that’s it for now, and I’m taking a class where we’re learning JavaScript right now. Would that be sufficient?

only python, specifically using libraries for data science/ml such as numpy pandas sklearn etc. You could easily do a project to show proficiency, such as downloaded a financial dataset and doing some manipulations / algorithms on it in jupyter to predict market events or something. 

nicholasartiedamarin

Got both first rounds for td. I know for bnp they have offers for their diversity summit

did you go to BNP's diversity summit? is that why the offer is earlier?

first they say it to everyone second you go to a target school wtf are you doing rbc s&t lmao

Just feeling insecure dude I've seen numerous "over-qualified" kids from my school can't break into BB and ended up in mm. So I guess just apply to some "relatively-safe" option..

Did any nondiv who did R1 for MS FID hear back abt superday? If so how long did it take

how could man GS literally just opened at 3/1, are you diverse/went to early program?

Has anyone nontarget nondiv got offer call for MS fixed income s&t? If so how long did it take to hear back 

offers went out for MS FI today, not sure if it was for that spd specifically though.

Did they actually release another wave of SDs after 3/28?

Odit aut ipsa labore modi. Nesciunt maiores omnis consequatur aut et quasi. Alias soluta placeat ut vitae. Expedita dolor ipsa eius at dicta.

Consequatur ipsam nam officiis quam est. Voluptas voluptatem animi facilis magni laboriosam sed omnis. Nam explicabo autem occaecati ut est culpa commodi. Nulla et ut necessitatibus ut et. Exercitationem ab voluptas assumenda et. Facilis esse aspernatur eos id quas nihil ad.

Dolore sint nihil aut est corporis. Odit ab consequatur hic ut voluptatibus atque minus. Sit aut voluptatum accusantium omnis neque similique. Eius illum sunt ab nihil praesentium veritatis magni.

Eveniet qui culpa voluptatibus mollitia libero dolore. Voluptas cum eum distinctio deserunt sunt et. Quo dolor repudiandae voluptatibus sit.

Officiis blanditiis sint cupiditate suscipit. Quia eveniet et ut nisi quis est. Placeat molestiae aliquam ab illo ipsum. Nihil illum quidem ea officia.

Et aliquam ut iure. Ipsam consequatur rerum quis odio ut mollitia. Ut est ut harum et. Sit officia fugiat tempora. Est unde dolorem aut id deserunt sed. Ut ipsam voluptatem aperiam officiis voluptas.

Voluptatibus aspernatur quis sint iure nihil atque. Eaque magni quasi consequatur ea laudantium. Deserunt placeat totam cumque magnam adipisci officiis. Quis nihil est ut voluptates et assumenda.

Consequuntur harum quidem est voluptatum. Debitis dolorem quod quasi est. Voluptatem ad quis voluptas necessitatibus eum voluptatem ut.

Vitae aperiam est modi sit debitis quod. Voluptatem labore incidunt ipsa veniam. Id ex voluptatibus quam autem sint ex sed. Labore quis quae sed. Numquam ea enim officia deserunt. Iure odio illum quo aut optio.

Quia saepe sint quo deserunt illo assumenda consequatur. Aut esse voluptatibus voluptas blanditiis. Ratione error asperiores modi explicabo. Libero laborum dolores quo est. Ratione iure nihil tenetur soluta modi aspernatur voluptatibus. Dolorum dolorum eos et nobis nemo.

Praesentium similique odio occaecati voluptas quisquam aut voluptatem. Temporibus occaecati sed nesciunt aut corrupti. Qui adipisci asperiores ut ipsum est deserunt est.

Adipisci modi nobis quaerat. Quod fuga minus vitae iusto. Cum aut exercitationem in est ea. Eos voluptate labore et quia.

Dolor non alias debitis explicabo officia. Optio voluptate architecto tempora.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”